[PLUG] Need Help Editing Grub

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Mon Jan 25 16:05:27 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 7:45 PM, Fred James <fredjame at fredjame.cnc.net>wrote:

> Mark Phillips wrote:
> > I have two ide drives in one machine - drive 1 is a Windows drive and
> drive
> > 2 is a Linux drive. Using grub, I can boot into either windows or debian.
> > want to remove the windows drive and replace it with a larger, blank
> drive
> > for backup storage. I have a feeling if I just remove the first drive and
> > put the new one there, the machine will not boot, since the MBR is
> probably
> > on the first drive (it came with the machine, and I just added the second
> > drive for Linux). My questions:
> >
> > 1. How do I change grub on the Linux drive (hdb) to say "the windows
> drive
> > is dead, boot here instead, long live linux"?
> >
> > 2. Do I move the second drive to the first ide port, or leave it as the
> > second ide drive and put the new drive in the fist ide port?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Mark
> >
> Mark Phillips
> Opportunity knocks?  Maybe.  Assuming you are not going to do anything
> with the MS drive anyway ...
>    the MB has primary and secondary IDE connectors, and each will
> handle a master and a slave (2) drives - that makes 4 (not counting
> floppy because that is a different connector)

Actually, there are only 2 ide drive slots available and 2 sata drive slots

>    do you have space on that arrangement for another IDE drive?

No, only two slots

> ... if so ...
>    add the drive there and you're in.

Would have done that if I could have...;-)

> ... if no ...
>    add an extra IDE connector or two (via a pci card)

Why spend the money? I don't need the tiny (40GB) Widows drive on a Linux
backup server. It is old, slow, and small.

>    add the drive there and you're in.
> ... in either case, your mess factor is reduced and you can still boot
> MS - or is that something you wanted to ditch anyway?  If so ...
>    add the new drive as in one of the above
>    format the MS drive to give yourself even more extra Linux space

The 40 GBs are not enough for backups, so I have a new ide drive (250 GB)
for backups.

> Hope that helps

Thanks for your thoughts,

Mark