[PLUG] 1st Open PC avail end of Feb!

Steve D... blitters at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 09:45:47 PST 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Mike Connors <mconnors1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> David Kaplan wrote:
>> Before you buy one, read this:
>>
>> http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/69182.html
>>
> Ha, just another marketing dog & pony show! They really aren't
> doing much for Linux/FOSS community or for the *Open* hw consumer.
> It almost makes you wonder if it's funded by M$....?

  I don't know if I'd go that far.  It's easy for Apple, HP, and Dell
to get volume discounts from their suppliers.  Hell, their suppliers
trip over each other trying to give volume discounts.  It's harder to
get a volume discounts when you're only selling tens or hundreds of an
item.  Open Hardware has to start somewhere.  I'm glad these guys are
putting themselves out there.  Good on them...

  I don't see the BIOS thing being much of an issue.  It would be easy
to swap in an OpenBIOS package if they manage to get some code
running.  Open-PC might as well ship what they got.  I suspect they
based their design off the Atom Customer Reference Board and used
Intel's BIOS package.

  It comes down to a simple question.  Do you want to buy from Dell,
HP, Apple, ect. and get 0% Open Source and no chance of Open Source in
the future, or do you go with Open-PC (or some other vendor) with 80%
Open Source and a damn good chance of 100% in the future?

Steve D...

--
"Every perception is a gamble"
Robert Anton Wilson