[PLUG] 1st Open PC avail end of Feb!

Steve D... blitters at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 20:09:01 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:52 AM, m0gely <m0gely at gmail.com> wrote:
> Steve D... wrote:
>>    Intel creates Customer Reference Boards (CRB) that they license to
>> their customers, Dell, HP, ASUS, whatever.  The CRB includes chip
>> information, CAD board design, BIOS, and other software needed to be
>> "Designed for Windows".
>
> from the Intel site:
>
> "When you see the "Designed for Windows" logo, it signifies that the
> system or device meets Microsoft's standard for hardware compatibility
> with the specified Microsoft Windows operating system."
>
> It seems like you might, but I don't interpret that to mean exclusivity
> to Windows.

  I didn't say it did.  "Designed for Windows" is just a feature set.
Linux, BSD, MacOS, Solaris x86, Plan 9, and others, also uses most, if
not all, of the features.

  All the machines I own were "Designed for Windows".  One flavor or
another...  Only one actually runs Windows.  I'd get rid of that
machine in a heartbeat if AutoCAD ran under WINE or there was a
reasonable Open Source equivalent.

  Intel is in the business of selling chips.  Creating CRB's and
writing software is *only* done so they can sell more chips.  They
would happily create "Designed for Linux" CRB's if there was a market
for them.

Steve D...

--
"Every perception is a gamble"