[PLUG] 1st Open PC avail end of Feb!

Steve D... blitters at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 13:03:22 PST 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 12:39 PM, Mike Connors <mconnors1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Steve D... wrote:
>>   The loose motherboards aren't Open Hardware either.  Those designs
>> are as encumbered with copyright and licensing as the box PC vendors.
>> Open Hardware means *open*.  The designs are suppose to be GPL'ed or
>> some other open license
>
> Does such a mainboard exist? I can't even find anything that says the
> ASRock mobos are open according your definition.

  Not to my knowledge, but I haven't been keeping up to date either.
I think there is a better chance of seeing an open mobile platform
than a desktop or laptop.  The PC platform is too closely tied to M$.
They are the big dog in that market.

  The Open Hardware concept still has a ways to go.  But, I ran Linux
v0.93b back in the day...  It seems to have done OK.

Steve D...

--
"Every perception is a gamble"
Robert Anton Wilson