[PLUG] Open Hardware: was 1st Open PC

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Jan 27 04:54:56 UTC 2010

While it is nice to see another organization recognizing Linux
exists, it is sad that the idea of "open hardware" is interpreted
as "runs Linux" or "ships with Linux" as opposed to "here are the
schematics and mechanical drawings".

Here is a suggested "open hardware" scale:

-1) Mfr. has you killed if you run Linux near hardware.
    --example: Nobody - so far?

0)  Mfr. sues you if you run Linux on hardware.

1)  Mfr. ignores you if you run Linux on hardware.
    --example: Almost everybody

2)  Mfr. services your machine under warranty, if you reinstall
    Windows before you send it in.

3)  Mfr. services your machine even if you have Linux on it.
    --example: IBM laptops before Lenovo

4)  Mfr. provides closed source Linux drivers for one of the chips.

5)  Mfr. provides closed source Linux drivers for most of the chips.
    --example: "Open PC"?  Maybe 6?  Should be 8 ...

6)  Mfr. provides open source Linux drivers for most of the chips.

7)  Mfr. supports community open source driver projects for most of
    the chips.
    --example: Intel, sometimes

8)  Mfr. provides schematics for the boards.
    --example:  PC Engines ALIX if you ask nice
    --example:  S100-bus home computers, in the early 80's.

9) Mfr. provides schematics, layouts, chip netlists, etc ...
    --example: Tektronix oscilloscopes 30 years ago

10) Mfr. provides all information necessary to duplicate from ore.

11) Mfr. provides all information, and permits potential competitors
    to freely duplicate or improve design.

Note:  there are separate scales for usability (Apple scores high),
    environmentally friendly (??), reliable, and repairable.

I "grew up" around Tektronix, so my expectations are (9), and I
prefer (11).  Tek did not share entirely out of the goodness of
their hearts.  They sold a lot of equipment to the military,
which wanted to be able to fix their equipment, /especially/ the
equipment needed to fix other equipment.  The military does not
demand that any more, and "Tek" means rebranded Chinese crap.  Sigh.

Sadly, we are in an era where companies are far less creative, and
far less likely to share any part of their trivial accomplishments.
Unless we fight fiercely for freedom, eventually the patent pukes
become human cannibals, and get patents on victims running away. :-(

We cannot fully use our hardware, know its drawbacks, or drive
improvements unless manufacturers offer (10) or above.  A large
percentage of the issues we face in open source are because the
hardware does not work the way the manufacturer expected it to.
They stop fixing the design and improving the tests when it works
well enough to satisfy Windows users (who tolerate bugs more than
we do).  Hardware can be incredibly reliable, but only if we
demand it, and educate our neighbors to demand it as well.

Keith
---