[PLUG] 1st Open PC avail end of Feb!

Steve D... blitters at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 08:03:11 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 1:44 PM, m0gely <m0gely at gmail.com> wrote:
> Steve D... wrote:
>>>
>>> from the Intel site:
>>>
>>> "When you see the "Designed for Windows" logo, it signifies that the
>>> system or device meets Microsoft's standard for hardware compatibility
>>> with the specified Microsoft Windows operating system."
>>>
>>> It seems like you might, but I don't interpret that to mean exclusivity
>>> to Windows.
>>
>>    I didn't say it did.  "Designed for Windows" is just a feature set.
>> Linux, BSD, MacOS, Solaris x86, Plan 9, and others, also uses most, if
>> not all, of the features.
>
> Ok, then I don't understand. I'm back to:
>
> "Do you want to buy from Dell, HP, Apple, ect. and get 0% Open Source
> and no chance of Open Source in the future"
>
> What's your point? What do you mean by "get 0% open source"? What
> problem are you addressing with this. You last response was because
> intel builds stuff for people and doesn't share their customers plans
> with other customers. All those companies contribute to OSS though. So
> where is this 0% coming from?

Wikipedia states in:

Open-source hardware
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_hardware

"The term usually means that information about the hardware is open to
all. This would include the hardware design (i.e.schematics, bill of
materials and PCB layout data), as well as a FOSS approach to the
software that drives the hardware."

  How much of the above do you get along with your Dell, Apple, IBM, etc?

  How much of the above do you expect to get with an Open-PC?

Steve D...

--
"Every perception is a gamble"
Robert Anton Wilson