[PLUG] Linux and Active Directory?

Ronald Chmara ronabop at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 11:00:17 PST 2010

IME, small-ish environments (1-100 users) pretty much tie into AD not
because they have to, but because they're using Exchange, SQL Server,
or some other Windows server product already, and (as others have
noted), sometimes the path of least resistance (and effort) is to
install AD onto a few servers, and go from there.

Larger environments (100-10,000) users are more likely to have a mix
of AD/LDAP (i.e. a non-AD LDAP)/NIS/etc., but the thing worth noting
is not that AD has *replaced* all other Directory Services, but that
in a large number of work environments, AD is likely to be *part* of
the mix, even if it's only used for one department, or one service.

So, perhaps the assumption that "AD has pretty much taken over Dir
Services" might be better phrased as "environments that use/require
Dir Services will likely require some AD experience".