[PLUG] Step away from the PHP

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Sun Jan 31 18:16:20 UTC 2010

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010, Rich Shepard wrote:

> Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 10:08:50 -0800 (PST)
> From: Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
> To: "General Linux/UNIX discussion and help;	civil and on-topic"
>     <plug at lists.pdxlinux.org>
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] Step away from the PHP
>
> On Sun, 31 Jan 2010, Dan Young wrote:
>
>> HTTP://WWW.COBOLONCOGS.ORG/
>
>   Oh, good grief! I noticed, too, that their home page has a date overflow
> noted. Problably because the year is > 1975.
>
>   So, is there a Web framework for FORTH, SNOBOL, or common LISP? Guess
> what? Yes for FORTH and LISP, no for SNOBOL. Didn't find one for C, either.
>
>   This is as bad as the profusion of scripting languages.
>
> Rich

There's quite a handful for common lisp: araneida, hunchentoot,
allegroserve, and the minimalist mod_lisp. I use araneida, and I find
it to be wholly enjoyable. It makes a lot of sense to use lisp for the
web. I don't write HTML; instead I write lisp forms that look a lot
like HTML, and araneida has a simple function for rewriting it as an
HTML string on the way out the door. This opens up a world of
possibilities for using lisp to generate HTML.

I would not recommend araneida for someone entering the lisp web game;
I would instead nod toward hunchentoot. I would have made the switch
myself, but I have too much code already, and I have patched araneida
to do all the things I need.

Carlos