[PLUG] Step away from the PHP

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Sun Jan 31 10:35:21 PST 2010

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010, Rich Shepard wrote:

> Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 10:22:55 -0800 (PST)
> From: Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
> To: "General Linux/UNIX discussion and help;	civil and on-topic"
>     <plug at lists.pdxlinux.org>
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] Step away from the PHP
>
> On Sun, 31 Jan 2010, Carlos Konstanski wrote:
>
>> There's quite a handful for common lisp: araneida, hunchentoot,
>> allegroserve, and the minimalist mod_lisp. I use araneida, and I find it
>> to be wholly enjoyable. It makes a lot of sense to use lisp for the web. I
>> don't write HTML; instead I write lisp forms that look a lot like HTML,
>> and araneida has a simple function for rewriting it as an HTML string on
>> the way out the door. This opens up a world of possibilities for using
>> lisp to generate HTML.
>
> Carlos,
>
>   That's interesting. Are the results w3c compliant, or does that not
> matter?
>
>   I suppose a side effect of your approach is job security; not too many
> others able to step right in to maintain or change the site(s).
>
> Rich

If you use hunchentoot, you can tell it to generate either HTML 4.01
or XHTML. And the lispy format you use to write your
HTML-as-S-expressions is pluggable; pick your poison. Hunchentoot is
written by Dr. Edi Weitz, who is a very fine software engineer.

Your comment re: job security is most certainly true. But I always
tell people that lisp is is over 50 years old, and if no one knows it,
it's their fault for not educating themselves in this fundamental area
of computer science. Learning lisp has catapulted me into a much
higher valence level of programming ability, even when using non-lisp
languages. For instance, I am finally learning C++ in school, and I
find all of it to be elementary. The last time I took a serious look
at it, it seemed cryptic and obtuse. (Well, I still argue that the
plethora of syntactical constructs needed to get the job done in C++
is unnecessary; simply adopt the syntax of lisp.)

Carlos