[PLUG] ESATA cages...

Michael C. Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Thu Jul 1 07:35:08 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 21:13 -0700, Aaron Burt wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 06:12:53PM -0700, Someone wrote:
> > I recently ordered ESATA cages and noticed on the boxes that it says
> > supports up to 500 GB.  Hunh?  I thought these could handle 2 TB drives.
> > So, anyone know the story on this one?  I hate to go that small.
>
> Michael--
> 1. In what way did a Google search not answer your question?
> 2. Did you contact the people you bought the cages from?  They are paid to
>    handle questions about things they sell.
> 3. What did you hope to gain by posting to PLUG, without any info on what
>    you tried first, let alone make/model/chipset info?
>
> HTH,
>   Aaron

I got them from Tigerdirect out of Florida.

As far as why did I ask on a Linux list, because I'm only concerned with
whether or not they will work on a Linux based machine.  As far
as your google is always the answer attitude, Google has a lot of cruft
where external sata cages were very hard to find in the first place.
Most places want to sell you USB2 external drive enclosures.  I also
went on vacation, so I didn't have all the time in the world to Google
this question where I'm sure I am not the only one who would appreciate
having an answer.

The product looking at the box really doesn't have an identifying name.
The product is merely identified as,
(3.5" SATA to e-SATA HDD ENCLOSURE), which is about as useful as saying
it is an external hard drive cage.

These enclosures have an on/off switch, so I'm wondering if hot swapping
is at all possible under Linux?

As far as pushing Google, Google is one company and frankly a defacto
Monopoly when it comes to which search engine people tell you you
should use to figure things out.  Never mind that there is increasingly
controversy surrounding Google, consider Google books for instance.
I don't particularly like Microsoft and I'm not into Bing, but Google
needs to be taken down a notch or two and competed with aggressively.
Google should not be considered synonymous with Linux, especially now
that Google wants to come out with Chrome, their own OS.