[PLUG] Search engine dependency and Linux...

MJang mike at linuxexam.com
Fri Jul 2 13:36:41 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 13:22 -0700, Michael C. Robinson wrote:
> I don't know how to Google the particular problem of, is this particular
> eSATA enclosure truly limited to supporting 500GB drives?  The name of
> the product on the box is not identifying.  I am looking for a needle in
> a haystack here.

snip

> I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to ask this TigerDirect
> outfit my question.

IMO, the answer to your product question comes from the spec sheet for
the product in question. That should be available from the manufacturer.
I assume that is not Tiger Direct.

If the name of the product on the box is truly "not identifying," then
you may be out of luck. There is more than one kind of eSATA enclosure
on the market.

If you're looking for the experiences of other Linux users with eSATA
enclosures, they may not apply to the enclosure that you're thinking
about purchasing from TigerDirect. So any experiences that you get from
us or from other online searches may not apply to that product.

So to answer your question, you really do need the spec sheet from the
manufacturer, assuming that can be identified. Perhaps TigerDirect can
help you with the name of the manufacturer.

If a spec sheet is not available from the manufacturer's Website, I'd
think you'd want contact info  for the manufacturer.

Then you'll need to make your own judgment on whether to trust that
information. If the spec sheet / other manufacturer info confirms "only"
500GB, then bigger drives are at your own risk.

The credibility of Google as a company is not relevant to that question.
But FWIW, as a Linux person, I'd trust Google (who uses Linux) over the
major alternatives: Bing and Yahoo (now affiliated with Microsoft
searches).

If you have to go through this much trouble to find information for the
specs of one product, it may not be worth it. But that is based on your
judgment on the value of your time.

Thanks,
Mike