[PLUG] eSata enclosures

MJang mike at linuxexam.com
Sat Jul 3 15:36:15 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-07-02 at 20:38 -0700, Someone wrote:
> I didn't withhold information,

This was the initial inquiry, ref
http://lists.pdxlinux.org/pipermail/plug/2010-June/069082.html

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 18:12 -0700, Someone wrote:
> I recently ordered ESATA cages and noticed on the boxes that it says
> supports up to 500 GB.  Hunh?  I thought these could handle 2 TB drives.
> So, anyone know the story on this one?  I hate to go that small.

Later, you revealed not only the P/N and link from TigerDirect, with
your concerns about the reviews.

i.e., you already knew things that you didn't tell us until days later.
That is withholding information.

In part, I actually understand the concern w/r/t googling (as a verb),
as not all searches are equal.

If you had told us about your efforts to search for an answer online,
then others would have been able to help more efficiently.

But I count nearly 30 messages on this topic, most of which have been a
waste of time, because you withheld information.

> I just didn't realize the obvious about
> how to get it.  I wish I could answer the capacity question without
> buying a 2 terabyte drive as I'm a bit cash strapped at the moment.

Have you communicated with Tiger Direct or the manufacturer of the
enclosure?

> As far as getting people's attention being rude, if that's the case
> then the people who feel that way shouldn't be on a Linux mailing
> list.

In this busy world, efficiency and courtesy is appreciated everywhere.
You have not shown either to us, and that is disrespectful.

> I'm not the only person who has asked simple questions on here
> and I do not feel that a culture of don't get our attention by asking
> any obvious questions is a healthy one.  This culture will discourage
> asking any questions whatsoever.

It should not take a couple of dozen messages before you reveal the
information that allows us to help you. People who cry wolf too often
are rightly ignored.

Thanks,
Mike