[PLUG] DRBD + SATA Array = cheap, reliable, and high capacity?

Gregg Berkholtz gregg at berkholtz.net
Sat Jul 3 21:40:50 UTC 2010

I'm looking for inexpensive options to build a DRBD based redundant storage array; two arrays each connected to their own server that uses DRBD to keep data synced.

Anyone have experience with these DNF brand DAS enclosures?
  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130405183471

The DNF enclosures look very much like some IDE-based EonStor systems that I installed many years ago. The EonStor systems are still in service, and have proven to be extremely reliable little workhorses. So, assuming that DNF is an OEM of EonStor... I'm looking for SATA based DAS options which can accommodate 12+ of the newer 1-2TB drives. I cant figure out if the DNF brand SATA systems support anything larger than their included 400GB drives, and I've had no luck finding manuals or manufacturer contact info.

I'm also toying with instead using two of these...it may be a better choice, although I was hoping to keep the existing servers in their original chassis:
 http://www.norcotek.com/item_detail.php?categoryid=1&modelno=rpc-3116

For what it's worth, if you're needing very high capacity, but lower-I/O, storage options, this  ~$8,000 67TB system would be a very nifty candidate:
 http://blog.backblaze.com/2009/09/01/petabytes-on-a-budget-how-to-build-cheap-cloud-storage/

- Gregg Berkholtz
Solid IT Support & Hosting Since 1995: www.tocici.com
Small Parts Design & Machining: www.berkholtz.net