[PLUG] Lubuntu

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Jul 4 05:17:04 UTC 2010

On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 20:46:26 -0700
Bruce <kd7vvk at gmail.com> dijo:

>On 07/03/2010 08:14 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>> A recent post alerted me to the existence of Lubuntu, of which I was
>> heretofore unaware.
> >
>> I am hoping some Lubuntu devotees will shine some light in my
>> direction.

>See if this helps...
>
>http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7520/1.html

Thanks for that link. That does help a lot.

While the stuff about Lubuntu was certainly interesting, even more
interesting were the comments about Xubuntu. I know there are Xubuntu
users here who use it precisely because of its lighter footprint. But
is it really? According to the above article straight Ubuntu uses less
memory than Xubuntu. Can that be true? In my own experience at the
Clinic I have tried to install Ubuntu on older hardware and it failed,
yet Xubuntu installed and ran fine. I question the veracity of that
article with respect to the comments about Xubuntu.

I also note that the article never mentioned what happens in Ubuntu,
Xubuntu or Lubuntu when the user launches OOo or plays a DVD. Or, God
forbid, tries to write a letter in OOo Writer while watching a DVD and
occasionally surfing with Firefox. Does smoke come out the back of the
computer?