[PLUG] 'nl80211' generic netlink not found?

Alex plug at mailswamp.com
Fri Jul 16 21:22:12 UTC 2010

Hello Linux folks,
I just installed newly released openSUSE 11.3 on my Toshiba laptop.
However, my Realtek wireless RTL8191SE  LAN 802.11n chipset is not
working anymore. I'm using Realtek provided driver for this wlan interface
compiled for 2.6.34-12 desktop SUSE kernel.

when I execute

ifup wlan0

it gives me this message:

Starting wpa_supplicant

nl80211: 'nl80211' generic netlink not found

Failed to initialize driver interface

Was something recently changed in the Linux kernel related to netlink?

Could somebody please give me a hint or advise how to solve this problem.

Thank you in advance,

Alex