[PLUG] Really bad DELL experience...

Vincent L. Damewood vincent.leo.damewood at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 22:39:08 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 10:27 PM, m0gely <m0gely at gmail.com> wrote:
> someone wrote:
>
>> DELL tried really hard to push me into installing Ubuntu 8.04 telling me that
>> 9.1.0 is not supported and that they can't send me media for it.
>
> Given your previous posts, this doesn't surprise me. You and searching
> the internet just don't seem to go together:
>
> http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/linux/building-base-ubuntu-factory-iso.aspx
>
> That took like 3 minutes to find.

There are two problems with this. The first problem is the fact that
this link doesn't solve his problem. Here are some quotes from the
page that explain why it's not the solution:

>To start out you will need the following:
># An Ubuntu installation, version 9.10 or later.

So, it requires that he *already* has Ubuntu 9.10 installed, which is
exactly his problem; he doesn't.

> The DVD playback software and media playback codecs are NOT included in an image
> generated by this tool. This tool will produce a system very similar to what you receive
> when ordering Ubuntu, but not identical.

Also, it won't be the same as what he should have gotten.
Additionally, it says "what you receive when ordering Ubuntu". This
implies that he should have, in fact, received a copy of Ubuntu.

The second problem with this message is that there a certain amount of
"I'm not getting paid for this" behind the RTFM and STFW arguments. In
this case someone *did* get paid, and they didn't meet their part of
the exchange. Imagine buying RHEL, then calling Red Hat and being told
you can't get media. The local user group can tell you that CentOS is
just as good, but regardless of equivalence or not, a contract was
broken and no amount of searching the web will change that. The only
thing that will change that is if Dell installs the advertised
software on the system.

--
Vincent L. Damewood
+1.503.926.4563