[PLUG] Where does Ubuntu keep it's brains?

nathan at nathanewilliams.com nathan at nathanewilliams.com
Mon Jul 19 00:36:05 UTC 2010

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 16:20:21 -0700, Tim Wescott <tim at wescottdesign.com>
wrote:
> I'm still trying to decide if letting #1 son know of the existence of
> FreeGeek was a good idea.
>
> After running around swapping parts between his GeekBox and the family
> computer (AKA the Handy Pile of Parts) he's left me with a quirk in the
> family computer -- it used to have an Nvidia card in it, which he
> claimed.  Ubuntu would boot, but bitched severely about the lack of the
> Nvidia card and wouldn't reconfigure itself as advertised.  I tried
> uninstalling the Nvidia driver, hoping that would fix up the
> configuration files -- it doesn't; now Ubuntu bitches that it can't find

> the driver.
>
> Argh.
>
> So, how do I tell Ubuntu Karmic that it isn't supposed to load the
> Nvidia kernel module any more?

lsmod will list loaded kernel modules, if i remember right the nvidia
module is nv or nvidia. so adding those to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
should blacklist the modules.

reconfiguring X should be pretty straightforward... if i remember right,
the newer versions of Ubuntu don't even use xorg.conf unless you want
manual control or have installed proprietary graphics drivers... so maybe
something like 'sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak',
followed by a reboot would let Ubuntu figure out the config automagically
at boot like it does on a fresh install.

also, if i remember right, when X fails to load, one of the options
presented is to reconfigure X? that's always been enough to get me out of a
jam.

good luck!

-- nathan