[PLUG] Can't get Java plugin...

Someone plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Tue Jul 20 08:18:46 UTC 2010

and firefox 3.6.4 on CentOS 5.5 to work together.

Where is the global plugins directory anyway?

Firefox should have a way to tell you.

An annoyance of mine is that automatic install never seems to work in a
Linux environment, but it always seems to work under Windows.  The
firefox developers really should address this seemingly anti Linux
aspect of the browser.

I installed Java 6 runtime environment update 21 I think.

[plug_0 at goose ~]$ rpm -q jre
jre-1.6.0_21-fcs

I found /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and decided to change that
to a virtual link.  I pointed it at /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins
which I created manually.  I also decided to move extensions to
firefox-addons and create a virtual link.  I found an empty
firefox-3.0.5 and an empty firefox-3.0.6 directory, so I removed them.
I searched the whole hard drive for plugins and didn't find any other
candidates for the global firefox directory.  Again though, firefox
itself should be able to tell me.

The only instructions I can find say to make a symbolic link to the
correct libjavaplugin_oji.so in the global or your local mozilla plugins
directory. I've done this, but when I do about:plugins in firefox I
don't see java.  Sun's java test fails.