[PLUG] Calling all editors; final site draft

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 03:50:26 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 8:26 PM, Richard C. Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net> wrote:

> I only recently learned that there are two schools of thought on links
> to other sites: open in a new window, or open in the current window.
> I've always been a fan of open in a new window. I bow to the collective
> wisdom of the rest of the group if my preference is in the minority.

My understanding is that the overwhelming (possibly only?) reason to
force a browser to open a link in a new window is if you have a very
strong belief that the user wants to remain on the initiating page.
This is true for things like web-based email clients, for example.

I think (and I'm just guessing here) that either behavior is roughly
equally desirable in other situations, however, browsers make it
substantially easier to open a "normal" link in a new tab/window than
opening a "opens in new window" link in the current tab (or window).
Middle-clicking on a link does this in firefox, opera and chrome by
default.  Chrome doesn't even appear to support opening an "open in
other window" link in the current tab :(.

--Rogan