[PLUG] Linksys PS2KVM4 problems...

Larry Brigman larry.brigman at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 04:02:29 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 7:18 PM, Michael C. Robinson
<plug_1 at robinson-west.com> wrote:
> This is a 4 computer KVM device made by Linksys.
>
> The first problem I ran into is that my manual switch used male to male
> vga cables where this smart switch uses male to female.  Another problem
> is that the extender cable I bought had standoffs that got in the way
> and I had to literally rip them off with pliers, but as far as I can
> tell the cable still works...
>
> What I'm finding is that my Alpha running CentOS 4.3 can't detect the
> monitor when it is going through this KVM switch.  The monitor is a
> Mitsubishi M55 LCD that can do 1024x768 max, but I've never been able
> to get to that resolution on my Alpha.  My video card in the Alpha is
> a Matrox Millenium II.
>
> Anyone else run into trouble with X when using this switch?

Haven't used that specific switch but experience with KVM switches is that
they don't typically handle pass through the I2C communication from
the video card to the monitor
back.  The typical solution is to remove the KVM for resolution
configuration/detection and
then put the KVM back in place.

Sometimes if the video card thinks the monitor has changed when the
KVM is in place you will
have to manually configure the monitor selection based on the
auto-detected monitor when
KVM was out.