[PLUG] Windows 7 issue...

someone plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Wed Jul 28 07:12:54 UTC 2010

Quoting Terrence Hulse <terrence.hulse at gmail.com>:

> Is there a reason you aren't considering running Linux in a VM?
> I have Ubuntu and Fedora 13 both loaded in SunVB VMs..they work fine.
>
> BTW, is this a new machine preloaded with Win7? If so there should be a
> utility to create your Win7 OS and Driver Disks. Most machines don't come
> with the media anymore..you have to create your disks, and/or there is
> usually a special system restore partition on the new systems as well.
>
> Terry

Is there a reason why the 2nd partition is reported by Windows 7 to have
no files whatsoever on it?  I'm trying the Microsoft backup tool, don't
know how long it will take though.  I wonder if there is a 30 gig
hidden partition???  I don't think hidden partitions have been
possible though
since Windows XP came out.

Doesn't look like there is any way to create the installation disks.

First off, I hate this.  I want and deserve media.  For that matter,
there are 9 gigabyte USB flash drives now.  Providing a boot able
flash drive with Windows 7 installer on it shouldn't be a problem.

Another gripe of mine, it seems that Microsoft is dumping Windows 7
starter so that people won't go the Linux route or any other route
for that matter.

An Atom processor is a bit on the low end to be running Linux under emulation.
I foresee my nephew using Linux most of the time and not going to Windows 7
unless he has to for some reason.

Putting the installer on the hard drive is reckless and dangerous.  There is
less than the advertised amount of space, far less.  Second off, hard drives
die much faster than memory sticks and DVDs.  Third, if the computer
ships with a bad hard drive, there is the issue of having nothing to
install from.  There is a transferability issue should one decide that
they need Windows 7 on another computer even if they intend to take it
off of their laptop completely.