[PLUG] Ubuntu 10.1.0 livecd problems...

Someone plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Fri Jul 30 04:41:10 UTC 2010

I'm trying to use the Ubuntu 10.1.0 live cd to boot and back up an Asus
Eee PC model 1005, the same one I mentioned before.  I am selecting try
it out followed by opening a terminal and doing sudo passwd root.  I set
the password to simple.  I then do an su - command.  I do aptitude
install portmap nfs-client.  That seems to work.  I mount the remote
backup space, seems to work.  The minute I try to dd from the local
sda hard disk to the network share, I see a minute amount of data
transfer and then data transfer ceases.  Anyone know what the
problem is?  I notice problems on the laptop (client) end.

I'm going to try upgrading my network root Linux system from the
2.6.30.2 kernel to the 2.6.34 kernel.  The problem has been being
unable to compile in the correct atheros driver for the onboard
network card, an AR8132 pci express card.