[PLUG] Xsane help, desperate

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Jun 5 08:45:23 UTC 2010

I have a Canoscan LiDE 30 scanner which works fine in Linux. I haven't
used it in months. This evening I suddenly need to scan two pages to
send to someone via e-mail, and the recipient is desperate to receive
them. Naturally, Xsane has decided this is the moment to screw me.

The problem:

I cannot figure out how to tell it the page size is 8.5  11. It insists
on scanning only the left side, 3.99 x 11. I cannot find a page size
anywhere in any of the buttons.

In Preview I once got it to scan the entire page, but could not figure
out how to save the image to file. Subsequently I have not been able to
figure out how I did it. In any event, scanning from the small main
window always scans 3.99 x 11. Adjusting the scan area manually in the
Preview window allows me to change the size area in the small main
window to 8.5 x 11, but when I then scan from the small main window it
reverts to 3.99 x 11.

I have scanned the document a hundred times at least, each time trying
different buttons, but nothing has succeeded in getting the full page.
I hope there is an Xsane expert here who can help.