[PLUG] Xsane help, desperate

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Jun 7 00:39:43 UTC 2010

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 11:04:12 -0700
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:

>This morning I finally found Canon's tech support e-mail service. I
>asked if I could get a service manual or if there is a repair depot
>somewhere. But I paid $90 for it brand new several years ago, so it's
>not worth spending a lot of money to repair. Used ones sell for $10-$30
>on eBay.

I got a response. The good news is that they responded very quickly,
even on Sunday.

The bad news is that the person responding did not read past the first
sentence of my e-mail. In the first sentence I said that it was
scanning only the leftmost 3.99 inches of the page. This was followed
by all the different computers I tried it on, all the troubleshooting I
did, and followed by a request for a service manual or location of a
repair depot. The response was:

>Thank you for your inquiry.  We value you as a Canon customer and
>appreciate the opportunity to assist you.  We regret to hear that your
>CanoScan LiDE 30 is not scanning the complete document.
>
>If the whole document is not being scanned from your computer, please
>ensure that the correct paper size is selected and disable the auto
>crop (if enabled).
>
>I hope this information is helpful to you.  Please let us know if we
>can be of any further assistance with your CanoScan LiDE 30.

Doesn't it just piss you off when someone patronizes you?

Wait, I just figured it out. At the bottom of the e-mail is a tagline:

>Special Note: Certain issues are very difficult to resolve via email.
>If you would prefer to speak to a technician for additional
>assistance*, you may call our special toll-free number for email
>customers with unresolved issues by dialing 1-866-261-9362, Monday -
>Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).
>
>*Telephone support for products no longer covered under the
>manufacturer's warranty may require a $9.99 fee for support.

So that's the game. Reply with a non-answer to the customer's e-mail so
the customer will be forced to pay $9.99 to talk to a human.

I guess I'm shopping for a new scanner.