[PLUG] Fan trouble...

m0gely m0gely at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 17:32:51 UTC 2010

Someone wrote:
> I ordered an LGA 775 socket fan/heatsink combo and I can't seem to use
> it with the Intel D945Gcz board I picked up.  I have a hunch that since
> I can't get the copper plate down on the processor that I don't have
> adequate thermal conductivity.

That motherboard doesn't use a standard LGA775 heatsink. My guess is
that's what you're using. That board requires this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220475199060

As it fits the holes in the board and allows the screws to thread into
the case.

> Another problem I ran into with the micro BTX case I'm trying to install
> this board in is that the ATX power connector won't reach.  Is there an
> extender for that that I can pick up or am I looking at an unsightly
> modification?

ATX power supplies are compatible with BTX mobo's, so an extender is fine.

> What should I use to glue the processor to the copper part of the
> heatsink?

If you want this to fail and ruin a heatsink and possibly the processor
then yes, do that. You should probably find someone knowledgeable to
help you with this project. Your post is screaming the kind of
inexperience that is going to destroy parts.

--
m0gely