[PLUG] Linux accounting software

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jun 10 01:33:51 UTC 2010

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010, Gregg Berkholtz wrote:

> While I have a number of years in SQL-Ledger, the growing and varied code
> forks have left me with a bitter taste.

Gregg,

   There is only one fork: LedgerSMB. Armaghan Saqib takes Dieter's SL
releases and modifies them with his enhancements and bug fixes. I've moved
from the plain SL to Armaghan's Ledger123 and found it much better.

   One of the kewel tools added to L123 is LedgerDoctor, a perl script that
looks for orphaned transactions and records. It can be run from the command
line or from within the application. A huge benefit to cleaning up previous
messes.

   The bug fixes are great, especially when it's something I've found and
it's quickly fixed.

   I use it for my consulting business and now know how to handle working on
retainer, billing time-and-expenses, and on a flat fee for the project. The
time cards work flawlessly (you can enter seconds if you keep time that
tightly) and Armaghan's enhancements and explanations of how to do things
has been a tremendous help.

   Consider looking at it again ... the ledger123 version, that is.