[PLUG] two column xterm?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Jun 11 01:24:51 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 05:36:27PM -0700, Paul Mullen wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 01:36:19PM -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> > My previous rant on screen width reminded me - are there any
> > programs that work like xterm but bring up two or more windows,
> > one scrolling into the other, like two-column mode in word
> > processors?  This would be nice for working on long ascii
> > documents.
>
> Split vim windows? Not as flexible as a terminal emulator, but fine
> for editing text (if vim is your thing).

No, I want a general purpose text terminal.  The vim capability is
OK, but ls -l, email, less, man pages, command line error output,
and many other text apps can run on for pages.  Yes, I can capture
the session to a file and look at that in vim (or with less, in
multiple windows), but it is a poor substitute, especially given that
modern screens are not so tall and bunches of characters wide.

Keith