[PLUG] ASUS Eee Linux version...

Someone plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Wed Jun 16 05:46:16 UTC 2010

I think Asus is in bed with Microsoft.  Well, DELL isn't infected yet.
Not everyone gets that STD called Windows.  Can't get a solid state
device for a DELL Inspiron Mini 10 with Ubuntu pre installed, but at
least I don't have to pay for and manually get rid of a copy of Windows.
Ironically, and this is nonsense, the Windows version has the 32 Gig SSD
as an upgrade option.  Sounds like politics to me.  Linux supports SSDs
just as well as Windows does.  If I didn't know any better, I'd say that
Dell is trying to make sure that their Linux offerings have fewer
features and are less attractive than their Windows machines.  Dell
should get serious and offer Linux pre installed on ALL of their product
lines.

Once the salesman figured out that indeed there is a Linux pre installed
DELL, it wasn't much trouble to get an order ringed up.  Around the
26th, it should arrive.  Aside from not having an SSD, this DELL mini
Inspiron 10 should work just fine for my nephew.  I hope the salesman
goes up the chain to suggest that the no SSD option on Linux laptops
be rectified.  Linux people are not second class citizens and should
not have second class options.  I would also like to see more variety
than simply Ubuntu or Windows on DELL systems.  What about Fedora,
CentOS, RHEL, etcetera?  I realize that DELL doesn't want to embrace too
many operating systems, but most serious Linux people use more than just
Ubuntu.