[PLUG] Problems with browser on Ubuntu 8.04 server

Victor Soich vsoich at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 19:30:27 UTC 2010

Hi,

After going to the PLUG clinic yesterday, I now have ubuntu 8.04
server on my machine.  I did sudo
apt-get install xubuntu-desktop from the command line, and now I can
surf the net using Firefox 3.0.19
I am so happy that things went smoothly, as far as the apt-get command
goes.  I really am.  I had
many frustrations in the past, that I couldn't figure out, and kind of
gave up on linux.  Now, I'm giving it
the old college try again.

Well....in Firefox 3.0.19, I went to the menu and clicked on Edit,
then Preferences.  When the Firefox Preferences
window came up, I clicked on Advanced.  Then I clicked on the tab
Update tab.  Under Update tab it says

Automatically check for updates to:

   Firefox

   Installed Add-ons

   Search Engines

The above three items are check boxes and they were all initially
checked.  I unchecked them all.  Then
I tried to check them all again.  I am able to check "Installed
Add-ons", and I am able to check "Search
Engines".  I am not able to check "Firefox".  My mouse click is not
being registered.

Under Update tab it also says:

When updates to Firefox are found:

    Ask me what I want to do

   Automatically download and install the update

The above two items are radio buttons.  Initially the "Automatically
download and install the update" button
was selected.  I then selected the "Ask me what I want to do" button.
Now, I can't switch back to the
"Automatically download and install the update button"

I know this is in Firefox, but this is Firefox, on a newly installed
Linux operating system.  I did not have
this kind of problem with Firefox on Windows.  So I conclude that this
is a Linux problem, i.e. a Firefox
on Linux problem, and I don't know what to do to get the check boxes
and radio buttons to work again.
Please help.

Also, I want to be able to watch you tube videos in Firefox.  I am told

You need to upgrade your Adobe Flash Player to watch this video.
Download it from Adobe.

I click on "Download it from Adobe" and I go to the link

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

where I can download a

.deb for Ubuntu 8.04+

or

.tar.gz for linux

among other things.

I been through this sort of thing before, and have not been successful.

I don't know if I hit the button that says

Agree and Install now

with the

.deb for Ubuntu 8.04+

selected

that I will actually get my firefox browser updated properly, so that
it can play youtube videos.

I don't know if I'm merely suppose to go to

Help    Check for Updates

in Firefox, and that will make Firefox run youtube videos properly.

I don't know if I'm suppose to go to the command line, and do some
sort of apt get on updating
adobe flash player for firefox.

So....could someone please help me to get my checkboxes, radio
buttons, and adobe flash player
to work in Firefox, which is on my new linux box.  Like I said, I did
not encounter these issues with
Firefox on Windows.  I just can't figure out what to do with Firefox on Linux.

Sincerely,
Victor Soich