[PLUG] Problems with browser on Ubuntu 8.04 server

Nathan W nathan at nathanewilliams.com
Mon Jun 21 21:25:34 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 12:30 -0700, Victor Soich wrote:

> The above three items are check boxes and they were all initially
> checked.  I unchecked them all.  Then
> I tried to check them all again.  I am able to check "Installed
> Add-ons", and I am able to check "Search
> Engines".  I am not able to check "Firefox".  My mouse click is not
> being registered.

I wouldn't worry about that, because any time you apt-get update &&
apt-get upgrade, firefox will be updated from repos. remember that linux
updates your install software as part of system updates (as long as you
install from repos), and windows does not.

> Also, I want to be able to watch you tube videos in Firefox.  I am told
>
> You need to upgrade your Adobe Flash Player to watch this video.
> Download it from Adobe.

there are two ways to deal with getting flash:

 you can either install flash from repositories, which is an older
version of flash on ubuntu 8.04 and can be obtained by 'sudo apt-get
install flashplugin-nonfree'

alternatively, you can install the newer version of flash from adobe by
visiting the download page you mentioned and installing the ".deb for
ubuntu 8.04+" listed in adobes download options, which should open in
gdebi if you run the downloaded file by clicking on it after downloaded.
(you can install the downloaded .deb via 'sudo dpkg -i my-app.deb' in
terminal as well...)

don't forget to restart your browser after you install flash, and you
should be set and ready to go with flash.

good luck!

- nathan