[PLUG] rsync/cron confusion

Nathan W nathan at nathanewilliams.com
Wed Jun 30 02:00:43 UTC 2010

On 06/29/2010 06:58 PM, Nathan W wrote:
> posting this here in the hope someone may catch something i'm missing.
>
> i'm trying to teach myself rsync, as the other backup solutions i'd been
> using don't do diff's, and thus take too long to backup. i've come up w/
> a functional backup to backup from my laptop to our home network server,
> but it's goofing when i add it as a cronjob...
>
> here's the rsync:
>
> ~$ rsync
> -avz --delete -e "ssh -p 2456" /home/nathan/ --exclude 'Music'
> nathan at home-net:/media/disk/backups/nathan/

extra... (sorry, thunderbird killed the last half of the first message
somehow while giving me grief about server certificate). the issue is
that when it's put into a cron job, it doesn't exclude the ~/Music
directory, i've tried phrasing it a few ways ('Music', '~/Music',
'/home/nathan/Music') and tried replacing the single quotes w/ double
quotes, no luck.