[PLUG] USB portable drive

Daniel Johnson teknotus at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 05:51:01 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 3:50 PM, VY <vyau5678 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a 400 GB USB portable drive that I need to do READ/WRITE between
> Linux, Win XP and MacOS X.
> It is currently in FAT which has a 4GB file size limit.  Is NTFS the right
> format to go?  I
> seem to recall Linux can do full read/write to NTFS.  Just want to see if
> anyone else has similar experience
> to share.

I've been thinking that the solution to this type of problem is to
instead of getting a USB drive get a small NAS server.  They handle
just about every network file sharing protocol.  FTP, HTTP, NFS,
SAMBA, and whatever it is that Mac OS uses plus block sharing
protocols like iSCSI, and ATAoE.  I don't know how easy it is to use
one outside of a lan though.  It seems like a crossover cable would
work, but assigning a network address might be tricky.

--
teknotus
Take Notice