[PLUG] Computer no boot

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Mar 9 03:38:52 UTC 2010

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 09:32:57 -0800
Michael Moore <moore.michael.m at gmail.com> dijo:

>Does this sound like it could be the hard drive that failed?  I
>thought those commonly gave some warnings, like wonky behavior in
>advance of complete failure, but perhaps that's only true when some
>sectors of the drive are wearing out.  Everything had been working
>fine, then kabluey.  I have a spare hard drive, but I'm not sure how
>to go about replacing the existing drive.  Do I have to reinstall the
>BIOS?  (I have an ASUS disc I've never even taken out of its package.)

It is possible for a hard drive to fail utterly all at once, but you
are correct, it is unusual. Normally there are warnings - the computer
starts crashing randomly, the drive starts making funny noises, or
there are read/write errors when saving and retrieving files.

The first things I would check are the power and data connections.

If that produces no solution, then I would boot to a rescue CD, and
then run fsck on the hard disk if I could at least get the rescue CD to
see it.