[PLUG] Selecting a Distribution (was: Solved: <Soon> New Computer)

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Tue Mar 9 16:11:11 UTC 2010

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, Marvin Kosmal wrote:
>
>> Bingo...........
>> I will try Fedora for the rest of the week....
>
>   This brings up a related question: what criteria do you
> (collectively, not just Marvin) use in selecting a distribution?
> Does the choice depend on the system being used personally compared
> with professionally (knowing, supporting, and recommending
> distributions?)

When all is said and done, I think I rely on four criteria:

  1. Stable vs. fast moving. Does the job at hand require
     stability or the latest and greatest software releases?

  2. Available packaged software. Does the distribution offer
     tested and maintained packages of the software I need on
     this machine?

  3. Hardware support. Does the distribution, out of the box, support
     the target hardware?

  4. Sysadmin skillset. Who's maintaining this system and what
     administrative tools are in their comfort zone?