[PLUG] Network boot link died...

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Tue Mar 9 21:26:47 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 08:40:01PM -0800, Michael Robinson wrote:
> I have 100 feet of Cat 5e UTP cable wired from my server running into
> an attic area.  After that, a crossover coupler and 90 feet of Cat5e
> STP cable follows.  The client computer has a 100 mbps Netgear Fa311,
> but the server is limited to 10 mbps because I historically could not
> get a stable link at 100 mbps.

OK, that's a bad sign right there.  Your cable (or maybe NIC or switch) had
a problem from the get-go, and now it's gone from 90% broken to 100% broken.

It's probably your coupler, or some spot where the cable rubs against a
sill or edge, or runs by something hot.  Note also that you're only good
for 300' in a single run of cable, even with no coupler in the middle.

You're gonna have to test each run.  Either one should be good for 1000 Mbps.