[PLUG] Selecting a Distribution

Mike Connors mconnors1 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 23:15:28 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 8:37 AM, Bruce <kd7vvk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Rich Shepard wrote:
>
> >    This brings up a related question: what criteria do you (collectively,
> not
> > just Marvin) use in selecting a distribution? Does the choice depend on
> the
> > system being used personally compared with professionally (knowing,
> > supporting, and recommending distributions?)
> >
> > Just curious,
> >
> > Rich
>
> For me a couple of things come into play.

Laptop, Desktop, or Server = lightweight OS / Window Manager, all the bells
& whistles, or no GUI at all.

What's the box's main purpose = personal, file server, web server, email
server, firewall/vpn, router.
* I think some distros are a bit better suited for specific tasks.

And then the last thing is do I want to use it for bus/work or for play =
Read, what's my tolerance for stability, performance, lack of support...