[PLUG] random question: how do you think newbies select their distributions?

Aaron Jorbin aaron.jorbin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 19:19:39 UTC 2010

I started using linux after I got sick of blue screens of deaths and
started with Ubuntu because that's what my 'guru' thought would be the
easiest and most welcoming community for me.  He was a Gentoo user
back then, so I had no choice but to look in the forums.  His advice
was great and while he was always there to help, I learned right away
that his initial question would always be "What did they say in the
forum".  While he did help me translate the conversation into human at
first, it didn't take long before I wasn't asking questions to him at
all.  And now I've been a happy linux user for just over five years.