[PLUG] Ubuntu Installation Problems

m0gely m0gely at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 18:03:12 UTC 2010

Richard C. Steffens wrote:

> Does this sound like a bad CD drive?

Or try burning the disc at a lower speed. I never burn above 32x, but I
have read with some DVD ISO's people say it's necessary to burn at much
lower speeds. Personally I don't have trouble at 32x, but I don't buy
generic media.

> I don't recall having any trouble with it as a CD reader over the
> last couple of years.

You never have trouble though until you do. Optical drives in general
aren't reliable. They're so cheaply made now. Plextor is the best bet
for quality as I rarely see those die. You're going to pay a lot more
though. I often see optical drives which read commercial media but not
burned discs. This is just the drive telling you it's on its way out.
IMO it's the laser that weakens when this happens.

--
m0gely