[PLUG] Is anyone in the group doing cross-development?

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Mon Mar 29 18:19:55 UTC 2010

Ali Corbin wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Tim Wescott <tim at wescottdesign.com> wrote:
>> Is anyone doing cross-development for embedded microprocessors using
>> Linux on the host?  Specifically, I'm reviving a project that uses an
>> Arm Cortex M3 with an OpenOCD debug pod.  I'd _like_ to do the
>> development all under Linux, without having to slide over to Windows.
>>
>> But when I try to do web searches for this, I find lots of material on
>> using Linux in the target, but not a lot about setting up and using the
>> tool chain when you're using Linux on the host.
>>
>> Any guidance appreciated, even if it's better search terms!

Unless you're keen on building your own tools, I'd suggest using a
pre-built toolchain from CodeSourcery.  I'd also suggest subscribing
to their mailing list.  They often answer questions from people using
the free edition.  Of course they would be happy to sell you a
supported version too.  CodeSourcery is one of the primary
contributors to the GCC ARM port.

http://www.codesourcery.com/sgpp/lite_edition.html

> I'm not doing it now, but I've done it in the past, using something
> called crosstool, and it was pretty easy.
>       http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/
>
> Well easy for me.  Not easy on the computer, as it had to rebuild
> everything in the world, starting with gcc.
>
> Also, I'm not sure that crosstool has been kept up to date.  I was
> using it in 2004/2005, and the last date noted on that web page is
> 2006.

The original crosstool script has ceased new development.
crosstool-ng is the latest thing.  If you go this route, be sure to
subscribe to the crossgcc mailing list.

http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/projects/crosstool

--
Galen Seitz