[PLUG] parallel processing cluster solution

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Sat May 1 16:07:25 UTC 2010

I need to build a cluster for parallel processing (i.e. not high
availability). It will run MatLab and SPM. Is LinuxPMI a good solution? I am
naturally drawn to it because OpenMosix was cool, and I'm really leaning
toward open source. Thankfully, Linux has been mandated by the customer.

Any experience with Oracle GridEngine? It gets a mention in an email from
the customer. Either they know what they're doing, or they totally don't.
I've been meaning to build a cluster as a learning exercise for some time
now, but unfortunately I have never gotten around to it. So my hands-on
knowledge is lacking. I could use some backup for my argument that an open
source solution would be better than the Oracle product.

Carlos