[PLUG] (fwd) Ubuntu 10.04 LTS released

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue May 4 01:25:49 UTC 2010

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 19:02:21 -0700
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:

>I will continue seeding for a couple of days. Since I am local I should
>be able to feed pretty quickly in case someone wants to torrent one of
>the new Ubuntus.

Many have commented that osu.osl and other servers are faster after the
initial few hours after a major release like Lucid.

That is probably true. But I am still seeding. Interestingly, over the
past couple of days I have uploaded zero of the alternative and desktop
versions. However, the take for Edubuntu has been heavy, and almost as
heavy for Mythbuntu, especially the 32-bit versions. The 32-bit netbook
version is also popular. And overall the download rate for 32-bit is
about three times the rate for the 64-bit versions.

More interesting is watching who I am feeding. This morning I noticed
someone from India downloading Edubuntu 32-bit. They had 32%, and now
at 6 pm they are up to 48%. I see a great many from the less developed
parts of the world, usually downloading slowly. I have lived in such
countries. Dial-up is usually all that is available, and the phone
system hangs up a lot. A good thing about torrents is that if you lose
your connection it can be restarted without issue.

Osu.osl and cat.pdx.edu are great for us. But I'll continue seeding for
the benefit of those with less fortunate technology. It's a tiny thing,
but I think that doing a favor for people in other countries makes them
respect us more than throwing bombs at them. Besides, the cost to me is
zero.