[PLUG] on OPB tonight, The Spirit of Tek

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Tue May 4 08:07:03 UTC 2010

>>>>> "Wayne" == Wayne E Van Loon <wevl at pacifier.com> writes:

Wayne> Back in the late 1970's and early 1980's, I worked with a man
Wayne> who had also been a radioman in WWII and knew Howard
Wayne> Vollum. After the war, Morey Hanen had a TV repair shop in
Wayne> Hillsboro and said that Howard used to stop in and visit once
Wayne> in a while.

Wayne> Morey said that Howard had no idea that Tektronix was going to
Wayne> become the company that it did. At one time, the height of
Wayne> Mr. Vollum's ambitions were summed up when he told Morey:
Wayne> "There are 52 TV stations in the United States, and I think I
Wayne> can sell one of my oscilloscopes to every one of them".

Another Vollum connection, my mother was Jean Vollum's gardener for
the last 10 or 15 years of Mrs Vollum's life.  I visited their house a
couple times.

Jean Vollum was one of the people that yanked their funding of OPB
during the axing of music programming on their radio station back in
the mid-1990s.

Maybe that's why, following the link that promisingly says, "Watch
Online":

  http://www.opb.org/programs/oregonexperience/programs/player/29-The-Spirit-of-Tek

all you get is a 30-second tease.

Bastards!

(also, dumb me for knowing it was going to be on and missing it)

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net