[PLUG] Xen Hypervisor

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Thu May 6 04:40:33 UTC 2010

On Wed, 5 May 2010, Daniel Herrington wrote:

> All,
>
> I've been thinking of switching from vmware server to full
> virtualization on my laptop using Xen. I would have the Xen
> hypervisor running and then Dom0 running a linux flavor with my
> virtual machines converted to Xen guests. Is anyone Xen? Do you
> think this would be feasible? What linux flavor would you recommend
> as Dom0?

Red Hat and related distributions (Fedora, CentOS) are switching to
KVM. I don't know if the switch says anything about Xen's long-term
non-Red Hat prospects -- but if you're commited to Xen, Red Hat is
definitely not the way to go.

Debian stable (lenny) has good Xen support, and it's likely to be
around for a while. I suspect the LTS versions of Ubuntu are in the
same boat.

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein at madboa.com <> www.madboa.com