[PLUG] VPN security questions for laptops

Isaac Michael isaacem at gmail.com
Mon May 10 20:33:48 UTC 2010

Hello Randall,
Take a look at Fortigate 60. (fortinet.com)

Super easy to setup Site-to- Site VPN
            easy to Setup IPSEC VPN
            And
It comes with SSL-VPN also, super easy to setup.
Along with many other features ...

You do not need contract for any of the above listed options to function.

You can find on Ebay for 200$ or less.

Look for Fortigate 60 (B)  that is the newer model with 2 WAN interfaces ,
DMZ, and 4 trusted interfaces, that you can eventually dedicate each one of
them to a specific network...

Hope that helps,
Isaac

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 12:01 PM, website reader
<website.reader3 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Folks and IP security gurus:
>
> I need to find a good firewall with VPN capabilities for a start up LLC.  I
> have had experience with the Cisco ASA 5505 security appliance (fancy name
> for firewall), but found that its software limits your configuration
> capabilities.
>
> I looked at a NetDefender DFL-860 from Dlink this morning, but it's complex
> and hard to configure.
>
> In the past I had someone make up a small private box that ran some generic
> linux OS and ClarkConnect's firewall and am familiar with them, but they've
> changed to Clear OS and I know nothing about the new team or company.
>
> Do you have any recommendations?  We are trying to set up something with
> remote VPN client capabilities to contact a central VPN server, but not
> break the bank nor get tied into a 2 year security software contract that
> takes $oodles everytime you upgrade or attempt to stay current.
>
> If there are any other ideas, please speak up.  We will have laptops in the
> field but want to lock them down fairly securely.  (I hope to avoid putting
> that other OS on them)
>
> Randall

Isaac Michael
www.atproservices.net