[PLUG] Backup over network...

Someone plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Sun May 16 02:00:10 UTC 2010

My dad has one of those fancy quad core 64 bit Windows 7 laptops.  I
have a Pentium III optimized LFS system which I can back up Windows and
Linux systems with as long as the computer is a Pentium III or IV.  Will
a Pentium III Linux kernel boot a quad core computer???

I am using dd to dump entire hard drives, this is space intensive though
and I end up backing up fragmentation.  Is there a better way that is as
powerful as hard drive imaging?  Using dd is brute forcing the problem,
but this is a safe way to back a system up.

If I need a 64 bit Linux kernel and a 64 bit optimized NFS mountable
Linux filesystem, how do I produce those on a 32 bit computer?  Is it
possible to produce an Apple G3 compatible Linux system on a PIII based
Linux server?  How about network booting a PC164 Alpha system?

In general, I'm curious how to trick the Linux kernel source into
compiling on one computer for a totally different kind of computer.