[PLUG] Backup over network...

drew wymore drew.wymore at gmail.com
Mon May 17 02:15:43 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 1:56 PM, Michael C. Robinson
<plug_1 at robinson-west.com> wrote:
>> The ntfs-3g module for NTFS read and write support is pretty good
>> although I can't speak to the specific task you're trying to achieve.
>>
>> I'm not sure why you're wanting to use a PXE setup, it seems as if
>> you're making this needlessly complicated but to each their own. If
>> that setup works for you, then that's great. Something like live
>> booting clonezilla just automates imaging the box to a remote
>> filesystem and accomplishes the same task as dd'ing without wasting
>> space copying empty blocks.
>
> I prefer PXE over a CD plus a backup box or worse an external hard drive
> because:
>
> 1) Using network based booting and backup doesn't involve carrying hard
> drives or other media around that can get lost or dropped.
>
> 2) Keeping the backup source/destination drive off of the machine being
> backed up, it is less likely that one is going to accidentally:
> overwrite it, partition it, or erase it.
>
> 3) I don't have to potentially buy a hard disk for every single computer
> I want to back up.
>
> 4) I can back up multiple machines simultaneously, although this does
> slow my server down a lot.
>
> 5) I don't want to be forced into having a DVD drive on every single
> computer I want to back up and restore let alone a writer.  The Alpha
> and the G3 Mac are probably not going to work with a single boot cd.
> I'm actually worried about whether or not PXE is available for these
> platforms.
>
> I'm after both a simple and powerful solution.  Having a Linux command
> line and useful tools at your fingertips is a powerful approach.  I can
> do more than just perform backups and do restoration work, I have
> network monitoring tools as well.  I'm hoping that dd isn't the only way
> I can back up an NTFS volume and restore it.  The best I can do if I'm
> forced to go the dd route is compress the resulting images with bzip2.
>
> The idea behind network booting is to run off a stable system that is
> not on the potentially messed up local hard drive.  There is no need to
> find a boot disk/CD/DVD.  This isn't entirely true, I have some
> computers that are going to need a PXE disk potentially.

Well if I understand original post then you just plan on PXE booting
your fathers new machine using the CentOS box and performing the
backup correct? You don't need to worry about 32 bit vs 64 bit as you
should have no issue running a 32 bit OS on 64 bit hardware you simply
don't get the benefits afforded by the newer, better hardware. As far
booting the Mac as long as the installed NIC support PXE you shouldn't
have a problem doing it. I seriously doubt that the Alpha will be able
to do that though.

Drew-