[PLUG] Linux accounting software

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu May 20 22:14:39 UTC 2010

On Thu, 20 May 2010, Patrick J. Timlick wrote:

> My question to the group is:  Does anyone have experience with (or
> knowledge of) using gnucash or other linux accounting package to run a
> small service business?  Small, meaning large enough to need accounts for
> receivables, payroll, checking, savings, but too small to have or rent a
> bookkeeper.

Patrick,

   Yup.

   I've been using SQL-Ledger since 2004. At least, that's as far back as I
had data until I cleaned out the database beyond what my account wants me to
retain.

   There's a long history with SQL-Ledger, and I can relate that over a
microbrew or three some time if you're interested. What I strongly recommend
is that you install and use either the LedgerSMB fork, or -- my preference
-- Armaghan Saqib's enhanced SL <http://www.ledger123.com>.

   SL is a series of perl scripts (the middleware) sitting between a RDBMS
(most of us use postgres) and any Web browser (including links and lynx).
The original author shut down the mail list several months ago (and removed
all archives) except for paying customers. His code is quite buggy, but
mostly works. Armaghan has cleaned up a lot of the code (his business is SL
hosting, support, and customization) and he set up a new mail list that's
quite active and cross-fertilized by the LedgerSMB folks; the developers
share code so both versions are constantly being improved. Just a couple of
weeks ago I switched from vanilla SL to Ledger123 and that cured a
reconciliation issue I've had for years. I recommend it very highly.

   SL (Ledger123 and LedgerSMB) are full-featured accounting systems. It's
designed for manufacturing, distribution, retail, and everything in between.
I don't think it has payroll because that's so location-specific. (There are
L123 users world-wide, from Australia/New Zealand and India to Europe,
Canada, the US, and South America. Many of us users are service businesses.

   You can de-activate the features you don't use. Your inventory can be
goods or services, so I have inventory entries for all the various services
we sell. I also record project numbers so I can create time sheets (when I
have to bill time and expenses), generate sales orders and invoices, and do
all the other bookkeeping and accounting.

   Go to the ledger123 web site, look around, sign up for the mail list, and
see if this will fulfill your needs.