[PLUG] Need Help with Aptitude on Debian

chris (fool) mccraw gently at gmail.com
Fri May 21 16:44:51 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 21:06, Mark Phillips <mark at phillipsmarketing.biz> wrote:

> Unpacking libmysqlclient-dev (from libmysqlclient-dev_5.1.45-1_i386.deb) ...
> Setting up libmysqlclient-dev (5.1.45-1) ...
> Processing triggers for man-db ...
> orca:/tmp#

excellent.

> But my build still fails. Will have to dive deeper into it.

bogus!  here's how i got a 32bit compilation to work on ubuntu.  i
imagine the steps would be similar on debian?

to start with you need to somehow get your compiler flags to include
-m32 (gcc -m32 file.c => 32 bit a.out)

you will also need a whole slew of 32bit development stuff.  i already
had much of that installed (libc6-i386 for example) but during
compilation the compiler errored out with missing include files and i
had to track them down:

tribes:/home/c/cmccraw:{109} gcc -m32 test.c
In file included from /usr/include/features.h:378,
                 from /usr/include/stdio.h:28,
                 from test.c:1:
/usr/include/gnu/stubs.h:7:27: error: gnu/stubs-32.h: No such file or directory
tribes:/home/c/cmccraw:{110} apt-file search stubs-32.h
libc6-dev-i386: /usr/include/gnu/stubs-32.h
tribes:/home/c/cmccraw:{111} sudo aptitude install libc6-dev-i386

hopefully the files will have nice unique names like the one that i
was missing--if not you may have to paw through the packages which
*could* provide it and hope to find a 32bit version in the list from
apt-cache or otherwise independently download and install a 32bit
version like you did for libmysqlclient.  (incidentally, are you
certain that doing the install that way didn't break the 64bit
mysqlclient library?   that you can recover from without a lot of
pain, but breaking the system 64bit libc will be much much harder to
come back from..)

anyway, hope that works out for you!