[PLUG] Hauppauge WinTV GO 190...

Erik Lane eriklane at gmail.com
Mon May 31 19:39:23 UTC 2010

> Yes, but which WinTV GO card?  Another option I've discovered is
> a Linux\Windows compatible PS/2 emulator, but it is only beta
> quality software.  Still, maybe I should be looking for an adapter
> for the PS/2 game pads so I can plug them into standard USB on a
> PC directly.  There are many WinTV GO cards made by hauppauge,
> all of them slightly different.  I'm wondering if emulation is
> good enough to forgo trying to acquire the correct tv tuner
> card when I'm not after tv or video editing anyways?

According to dmesg:
[   20.433631] bttv0: Hauppauge eeprom indicates model#44801

so
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hauppauge-44801-WinTV-GO-WatchTV-Tuner-Capture-Card-/360221780965?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53dee42be5
http://cgi.ebay.com/MALE-RCA-2-TWO-FEMALE-HEADPHONE-CABLE-AUDIO-3-5MM-Y-MP3-/280502073939?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item414f39fa53
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-5M-3-5mm-3-5mm-Jack-Jack-Audio-Lead-Cable-Wire-/110509742451?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bae4d973

With those three things you should be in business, and for something
close to $20.

Although I still find it really odd that you have that lag. I had an
issue with lag with a much newer card and got in touch with Hauppauge
and they told me that their native program wouldn't handle it, but
that D-Scaler would. (This was on a Windows machine.) And they were
absolutely correct. It still bugged me that they wouldn't resolve the
issue in their own software but direct me to a third party. (Though at
least it didn't cost me anything.) So at least for that one the lag
was all software, not in the hardware. And that was the only card out
of 4 or 5 that I've used that has ever had lag in *anything* that I've
used it for. (Although when you're just watching TV or other passive
input the lag doesn't matter and isn't noticeable, as long as it
exists for both audio and video. It's only when trying to interact
with the input video that a lag becomes an issue, of course.)

Good luck! (And if you want any other details from my board or setup
then let me know.)

Erik