[PLUG] Network configuration for Ubuntu 10.04

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Tue Nov 2 04:33:55 UTC 2010

On 11/01/2010 06:08 PM, drew wymore wrote:
> I suspect you might be missing the default gateway when you manually
> assign the IP or the routing tables think that the other NIC should be
> the default GW .. what does running /sbin/route show after you
> manually assign an IP?

You're right. The dialog has a place for me to enter the Gateway. I put
in the IP address of my router. But the output of /sbin/routes shows
that there is no Gateway.

$ /sbin/route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     1      0        0 eth0
link-local      *               255.255.0.0     U     1000   0        0 eth0

On 11/01/2010 06:23 PM, Jason Barnett wrote:
> Try to ping 74.125.19.147  this is one of google's ip addresses.  If you can
> ping it then it is a DNS issue.

Thanks for the Google IP address. But, no joy:

$ ping 74.125.19.147
connect: Network is unreachable

The two pointers you two provided helped me see something else. I never
put in anything in the boxes for "DNS servers" or "Search domains" in
the Network Manager dialog. Also, there's a button for "Routes..." that
I did nothing with. I have a vague recollection of being asked for a DNS
server in the past, and I always just put "comcast.net" in the provided
box. If I put that in Network Manager's DNS server box, the Apply...
button grays out.

I'm thinking this tool is less than friendly when one wants to do
something non-standard. I don't remember having this much trouble
setting up a static IP address with 8.04.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens